Monday, February 27, 2006

Week of February 20, 2006


The first truss goes up.









Halfway done.









Our mentor, Jim on the roof with the class.








Putting up the porch roof.








We spent the week getting ready to put the roof on which included putting cap plates on and laying out where all of the trusses will go on the beams. Friday we spent the entire day out at site for an all-day field trip.

There were plenty of problems with the trusses, but with Greg and Jim on site to help us, we got things pretty much in hand.

Chris did the directing of the large crane which hoisted not only our trusses but also our bathtub/shower unit into the second floor bathroom.

We had to rebuild the trusses on the back porch but in the end the work turned out extremely well done.

Our house should be dry very soon as soon as we get the rest of the sheathing down on the roof and put waterproof building felt (tar paper) on.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Saturday February 18, 2006


We found out today that we are the first single family dwelling built in Franklinton in 43 years. From a 50 degree school week, the bottom feel out of the thermometer and we worked in 14 degree winter weather today. Ben, Jorday, and Mr. Beck were members of the no-gloves club while Andrea and Heather are getting close to being members of the forty hour club. It was partly sunny today and it was amazing just how nice it felt to have some sun on us. Everyone followed the Home B.A.S.E. rules for working in the cold. 1) We are tough and don't complain. 2)We remember rule one.

With great progress today in such cold, it is wonderful say that all of the walls of the house are now built! We worked well in teams and the walls are very plumb and straight. Level means parallel to horizon while plumb means perpendicular to horizon. It was nice working upstairs because the exterior walls acted as a windbreak. If the roof trusses arrive this week, we will be ready to put on the roof and dry in the house.

The special aspect of the day was working with our future homeowner and her daughter who is a senior is high school just like our class. We got together with our homeowner and all of the Habitat staff members to have an emotional event in which everyone re-dedicated themselves to the starting and finishing of our house.

Compare the picture above to the picture on our post for Saturday, January 28 to see how much progress we've made in less than a month.

Week of February 13, 2006

The exterior walls of the second floor were all finished and the front and back porch beams were built, stood up and squared. A new system of connecting the bottom of the porch posts to the concrete was tried and it seems to work pretty well. We are also using regular dimensional framing lumber with an OSB sandwich for the posts instead of treated 4 x 4's. With the help from the Tuesday and Thursdy groups, we are making lots of progress and we are moving very fast for such a late start in the winter.

Our Home B.A.S.E. Government techer, Mr. Vincent was on site with us on Friday and helped us build the exterior walls.











Putting up the second front of our house on the second floor.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Saturday, February 11, 2006

A lot of progress today. Three 2nd floor walls were built and two were stood up. The garage was cleaned out for preparation for the concrete to be placed on the floors of both the garage and the basement. The site was straightened up and the lumber re-stacked.




Week of January 30,2006

The joists for the second floor were put in and the shething for the second floor was installed allowing for the second floor walls to be built. The large beams for the front porch were also started.

Mrs. Smith and Wynne graciously provided lunch for us one day this week.

Mr. Dew came out and provided the materials and labor and fixed the outlets on our solar powered construction container.

This picture above shows us after we set and nailed down the first sheet of the second floor which is always a good feeling.


Here we are at the end of the day with the second floor sheathing installed. Behind and to the left you'll see a piece of sheathing that looks like it is too long and that's correct. Sometimes, we will just run our sheathing long and cut it off in a straight line when we are finished.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Saturday, February 4, 2006

Home B.A.S.E. Haiku

Rain.
Blustery.
Changing to snow.
Bitter.
No work on site today.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Week of January 30, 2006

With the help of Dave, Jim, and the Thursday crew, we framed most of the exterior walls this week. A crew of students finished the roof of the garage when they cut an opening in the shingles and installed the ridge cap shingles and ridge vent. On Tuesday, the beam pockets were cut in for the front porch. We'll have to cut in the beam pockets for the back porch in the coming week. On Thursday, we worked in the rain for about half of the class but we still got a lot done.